Guest Speaker Seminars
These industry events are offered complimentary to all professionals and IDI students.
Introduction to Oncology Skin Care
At this informative event, you'll learn how to best treat the skin of oncology patients. We'll introduce you to the different medical treatments that your clients maybe receiving and we'll explain how you can best prepare your treatment room. You'll also learn which ingredients to look for and which to avoid.
- Chicago| Monday April 22, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Sharon Bell
- Sacramento| Monday May 20, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Sharon Bell
- Minneapolis| Monday June 24, 2013 | 9:30 am – 11:30 am | Sharon Bell
- Atlanta| Monday August 5, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Sharon Bell
Nutrition and the Skin
In this exciting new class, we'll uncover the latest information behind how nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants work to promote skin health. We'll touch on how dietary deficiencies can lead to health problems and take a look at how dietary nutrients have made their way into the skin care ingredient repertoire.
- New York| Monday April 22, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Dr. Claudia Aguirre
- Irvine| Monday June 17, 2013 | 10 am – 12 pm | Dr. Claudia Aguirre
- Dallas| Monday June 24, 2013 | 10 am – 12 pm | Dr. Claudia Aguirre
- Houston| Tuesday June 25, 2013 | 10 am – 12 pm | Dr. Claudia Aguirre
Today's modern approach to body waxing is calling for more difficult treatments than ever with the growing interest in Brazilian waxing, which can be intimidating if you don't have the correct knowledge and tools. Join us for this event that covers the steps of a successful Brazilian waxing treatment.
- Boston| Monday April 29, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Beth Bialko
- San Francisco| Monday May 20, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Tiffany Montalbano
- Philadelphia| Wednesday June 26, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Edyta Gondek
- Fort Lauderdale| Monday August 19, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Beth Bialko
- Orlando| Tuesday August 20, 2013 | 2 pm – 4 pm | Beth Bialko
Oncology Skin Treatment Insights
Cancer touches so many lives and whether through personal, family or client experience, it's almost impossible not to be affected in some way. Therapist education is essential and with modifications skin treatments can safely be provided for ‘people in, or with a history of, cancer treatment'. Join us for an informative session with Johnnette and Karey from Greet the Day where we will discuss treatment objectives, safety considerations, product selection and massage practices for oncology skin treatments, including adjustments required to safely address lymphedema, a common side effect of cancer treatment.
- Los Angeles | Monday June 3 | 10 am – 12 pm | Johnnette du Rand
Solar Damage and Protection
As a professional skin therapist, you are on the front line touching and looking at your clients' skin. How often are you the first to spot a suspicious mole, raised spot or fleshy bump? Get informed about this subject to better educate your clients, friends and family about the dangers of UV exposure. In this lecture you will learn how to understand the latest information on UV radiation and its effects on the skin, the dangers of indoor tanning, the addiction factor and what your teenage clients need to know. Take an in-depth look at the various types of skin cancers, from benign to malignant growths, how they form and what tell-tale signs to look for.
- Washington D.C. | Monday June 10 | 11 am – 1 pm | Patricia Faley
- New York | Monday July 29 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Patricia Faley
Eat the Frog
There's an old saying that if you had to eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day! So what represents your personal "frog?" What are you avoiding in your business that is stopping you from being more successful? Business growth plans? Marketing and networking? Firing that un-trainable staff member? Or taking that leap to finally start your own business? At this special event, Annet King, Director of Global Education, will give you the tools needed to help you reach your goals. Together we will face your frogs and overcome the typical challenges that face us as skin therapists and business owners!
- Scottsdale | Monday June 10 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Annet King
What is MLD?
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a gentle yet powerful technique that assists in clearing the skin from the inside out! From aging to sun damage to post-op recovery, dive into the anatomy of lymph vessels and lymph nodes to understand how this detoxifying practice leads to incredible changes in skin health! This is an amazing opportunity to learn a new technique for your repertoire!
- Chicago | Monday July 8 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Gay Lee Gulbrandson
New Facts, More Fiction, Latest Fantasy
Our industry is full of all sorts of claims. Can you tell the difference between fact, fiction and fantasy? Retinoids, snake venom, meteorite dust, stem cells, sirtuins, Snap-8, chia seeds…even snail slime! Celebrities clamor for bee venom facials and dragon's blood, but do any of these ingredients actually do anything? Join Dr. Diana Howard, our VP of Research at The International Dermal Institute, as she separates science from science fiction in this newly-updated class. Learn which trends are revolutionary advances in modern science, and which are marketing nonsense – and have the confidence to knowledgably discuss them all with your clients.
- Chicago| Monday July 29, 2013 | 6 pm – 8 pm | Diana Howard
Hormones and the Skin
Move over mood swings, hormones are also responsible for breakouts, pigmentation, sagging, and dehydrated skin! One hundred percent of women have to deal with the effects of their hormones at some point in their life – whether it's during puberty, pregnancy, menopause, or even stressful situations. Join us for a discussion with Dr. Claudia Aguirre as she tells us how hormones affect the skin. We'll uncover some of the myths out there and provide answers to these pressing questions that most women will inevitably ask themselves!
- Denver| Monday August 12, 2013 | 11 am – 1 pm | Holly Stoviak