Guest Speaker Seminars
These industry events are offered complimentary to all professionals and IDI students.
Accidents do happen – even to the most skilled and conscientious practitioners. Learn how to reduce the risk of mishaps, as well as the correct way to respond if a client is injured during a treatment. This is vital information that may someday save your skin care business and reputation. Come hear what the Experts from our partners at Associated Skin Care Professionals (ASCP) have to share including 10 ways to reduce risk for your clients and protect your career!
- Dallas | Monday, May 6, 2014 | 6:00 pm–8:00 pm | Lauren Snow
- Scottsdale | Monday, June 2, 2014 | 5:30 pm–8:00 pm | Jesse Cormier
- Fort Lauderdale | Monday, July 28, 2014 | 6:00 pm–8:00 pm | Jesse Cormier
The Art of Airbrushing
Airbrush Makeup is rapidly gaining in popularity and is a frequent request of salon and spa makeup artists. Build upon your basic makeup skills and focus on the fundamentals of airbrushing with Sheila McKenna, owner of Kett Cosmetics. Sheila will demonstrate how to color match, color correct, highlight and contour with seamless perfection. With an emphasis on airbrush control, Sheila will demonstrate the techniques required to be a successful airbrush makeup artist while using products that are skin-friendly.
- New York | Monday, May 19, 2014 | 6:00 pm–8:00 pm | Sheila McKenna
Lift Off! The Science of Exfoliation
Exfoliation is an art and a science. Exfoliating methods have drastically changed over the centuries although their primary goal has remained steadfast – to improve the texture and quality of the skin. Join us for a deep dive into the science behind exfoliation, chemicals peels and medical resurfacing. After this discussion, you’ll have the knowledge and confidence to use advanced exfoliating techniques in your treatment room for even better results on your clients’ skin.
- Houston | Monday, June 2, 2014 | 10:00 am–12:00 pm | Laurel Windle
- Sacramento | Monday, June 16, 2014 | 10:00 am–12:00 pm | Holly Stoviak
- Denver | Monday, August 25, 2014 | 11:00 am–1:00 pm | Laurel Windle
- Scottsdale | Monday, August 18, 2014 | 1:00 pm–4:00 pm | Laurel Windle
Solar Damage and Protection
As a professional skin therapist, you are on the front line touching and looking at your clients' skin. How often are you the first to spot a suspicious mole, raised spot or fleshy bump? Get informed about this subject to better educate your clients, friends and family about the dangers of UV exposure. In this lecture you will learn how to understand the latest information on UV radiation and its effects on the skin, the dangers of indoor tanning, the addiction factor and what your teenage clients need to know. Take an in-depth look at the various types of skin cancers, from benign to malignant growths, how they form and what tell-tale signs to look for.
- Irvine | Monday, June 2, 2014 | 10:00 am–12:00 pm | Beth Bialko
- San Francisco | Monday, June 9, 2014 | 11:00 am–1:00 pm | Judi Patton
Intense Pulse Light in the Treatment Room
Obtain a thorough understanding of the photobiological process of cells, and how phototherapy is used to treat various skin conditions. We'll discuss the Fitzpatrick Skin Type and Lancer Ethnicity, including a review of melanosis and how inflammatory responses can affect treatment outcomes. This presentation emphasizes practicing safety and reducing risk factors, and will include live discussion of treatment parameters.
- Atlanta | Monday, June 16, 2014 | 11:00 am–1:00 pm | Linda Gulla
Today's modern approach to body waxing is calling for more difficult treatments than ever with the growing interest in Brazilian waxing, which can be intimidating if you don't have the correct knowledge and tools. Join us for this event that covers the steps of a successful Brazilian waxing treatment.
- Dallas | Monday, July 21, 2014 | 6:00 pm–8:00 pm | Beth Bialko
Taking Care of You with Laura West
Do you suffer from lower back stress? Pain in your neck? Exhaustion by the end of the day? These are all signs that your fascia is dehydrated. As Professional Skin Therapists, we are often so focused on taking care of our clients and their needs that we forget about us. It is important that we reconnect and restore balance to ourselves. Don’t miss this informative and interactive event to learn simple and effective techniques to rehydrate the tensional network of the human body: your fascia!
- Chicago | Monday, July 28, 2014 | 2:00 pm–4:00 pm | Laura West
- Washington D.C. | Monday June 2, 2014 | 11:00 am–1:00 pm | Laura West
Taking Care of You with Sonya Bladow
Eat Well. Move Well. Think Well. Get Sonya's valuable tips on staying healthy for a lifetime and learn what our bodies need to age gracefully and prevent injury. She will discuss how lifestyle affects health, focusing on three components that affect the overall health of the body: how we use it, what we put into it and our emotional side.
- Scottsdale | Monday, July 28, 2014 | 6:00 pm–8:00 pm | Sonya Bladow
Know Your Peels
Peels and exfoliation series can send your skin treatments – and your revenue – to new heights. Join us for an exclusive lecture about the how-to’s of peels, and find out what it takes to provide these sought-after resurfacing treatments in your skin therapy center! At this informative event, our expert educators will uncover:
- What a chemical peel really is and how it works
- How deep a peel can penetrate
- The difference between a chemical peel and an exfoliant
- What you need to know regarding licensing, insurance, liability, proper homecare and training
- Boston | Monday, August 18, 2014 | 11:00 am–1:00 pm | Whitney Johnson
The Brain-Skin Connection
Ever wonder how stress can cause Acne or Rosacea to flare up? Or what those tingling sensations on your skin really mean? Find out in this fascinating lecture on the mysteries behind the brain-skin connection. This advanced-level seminar dive deep down into the latest research on the interrelationship between the brain, nerves and skin cells, and how it relates to the increase in skin sensitivity.
- Orlando | Monday, August 18, 2014 | 1:00 pm–4:00 pm | Patricia Faley
How does diet affect the skin? What about acne? And sugar? Join us for a riveting discussion on holistic dermatology and the principles of integrative and functional medicines, as well as the effects of digestion, immune response and related disorders on the skin.
- Philadelphia | Monday, August 25, 2014 | 11:00 am–1:00 pm | Sandra Emmanouilides